Monday 24 February 2014

This is my second update of half term, if a little bit late! The week flew by but I managed to find time to finish off my UFOs from the start of the week. I love the valentines bracelet and I think the Murano glass heart (which I picked up at the Venetian hotel in Las Vegas) finishes it off a treat.



The GJ beads bracelet is also complete (picture to follow on next update) and I managed to complete a project involving a beautiful button given to me as a Christmas gift from my best beading (and general life-long) buddy Anna. It really is lovely and the photographs don't do it justice. I adapted a pattern in the February edition of Bead and Button magazine. I am delighted with the results! The button was sewn onto beading foundation and then the other beads were attached using back stitch. The chain is a simple spiral as I didn't want anything too complicated to detract from the spectacular focal point. 


Finally, as a final half term treat my Mum and I took ourselves off to the Essex bead fair at Five Lakes hotel near Colchester. It is always good to be able to select beads by actually seeing them rather than choosing them on the internet - colours on screen can be so tricky to match. Some of our favourite bead suppliers were there including the Bead Merchant and Oak Tree Crafts. Both always have a huge selection and their customer service and delivery is, in our experience, very good. A few essential purchases were made so I can complete some more of the UFOs in my box and one has already been done. I had some large glass beads awaiting some inspiration and, with the addition of some rondelles and some wax string, a thing of beauty was created (well I love it!!) 


Finally, as a half term treat to myself I decided to order an Oak Tree Crafts acorn club bead treat. At the bargain price of £7.50 I thought that it would be a good way to add some variety to my stash and be a bit of a surprise when it arrived. My bead treats arrived on Saturday and I wasn't disappointed! All of the beads were bright red and there are enough to make a bracelet or necklace. The only dilemma is which pattern to choose .....
This week I am going to try to complete the foundation row of right angle weave for my Alston Lauriat and, hopefully, add on some of the embellishments. I have also been collecting fabrics and bits and pieces for a HUGE top secret project which I am planning to start during the Easter holidays. All I'm going to say is that it's 'Great British Sewing Bee' inspired and that all will be revealed some time in July. Watch this space!!

No comments:

Post a Comment